Pages

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Pre-Entry-Level

Once upon a time I was a normal college student headed down an unknown path to an unknown destination. I spent three and a half glorious years at Azusa Pacific University. I joyfully pursued my degree in Marketing, the prefect mix of business and creativity. I spent the bulk of my spare time in Scholar's for Business Achievement, a fancy way of saying the event planning team for the School of Business and Management. My summers were filled with fantastic internships at an online company and with the AT&T Premier Client Group on the most fantastic sales team I've ever encountered.

All this added up to a very big assumption that I deserved and was owed a job. I did all the right things and got all the right grades. Then, quite suddenly I was facing graduation day with no job, no prospects, and no idea what I was going to do next. I knew people, I had applied to some jobs, but nothing was going my way in the form of a job offer. Somehow I still made it through my last few weeks taking in all the joys of college life without being bothered by my looming fate. Most of my friends called it denial.

Luckily, I had enough savings to make it two months in California otherwise I would have to go home to freezing cold Wisconsin. Talk about motivation. So between December 14th and January 22nd I searched. I passed up Christmas and New Years with family to focus on my job search and save some money. Those five weeks changed me and opened my eyes to who I was, both good and bad. It showed me the power of hope and the pain of failure.

In the next few weeks I'll unwrap what it means to really look for a job and some of the things I learned professionally and personally along the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment