Pages

Sunday, May 1, 2016

It's been so long, I'm vegan.

It really has been TOO long since I've written on my blog. I can hardly believe it, but it has been over a year since I got out of a toxic relationship and while the journey has been long and difficult, I have learned so much and I thank God for it. 

Before the relationship I thought I knew who I was, but didn't, while I was in the relationship I was who he wanted me to be, and now, post-relationship, I'm finally getting to know myself as I truly am and getting closer to seeing myself as God sees me. 

Lately, I've been making more of an effort to figure out what I like to do. I've discovered my love for hiking and the Southern California landscape - making it a point to try a new hike every weekend. I've read through a few books already and hope to get through 5-10 more (which for those who know me know this is HUGE). I've taken on a new leadership role at work, which has been scary and exciting and humbling all at once.

Most recently, last week, I decided to "go vegan" and in the spirit of my faith, I'm giving myself some grace, which some call "flexitarian" or as I call it: "convenient vegan."


The first question everyone asks me is "WHY!?" 


My first vegan meal - that I cooked!
As a meat-and-cheese midwesterner, it's a pretty good question. Lately, more and more it seemed as though "vegan" was popping up everywhere. I heard a short overview of the China Study. My coworker started eating vegan and encouraged me to join her. We held weekly health goal meetings at work and even though I would occasionally hit my goal, nothing was really changing. I never really cooked and this would force me to. I made 80-90% of my meals every week so it would be easy to make it work. 

When it came down to it, I did it because I just wanted to. There was really no great reason for it, but I knew I wanted to try. 


Starting to get creative


The Sunday before I started, the sermon at church was on Romans 12. To me it was a confirmation that in my effort to sacrifice small comforts like food, while doing some uncomfortable things like hiking and reading, that I might be better able to discern what he has for me. And in opening up my world, I might discover people who are in desperate need for the same love and grace and mercy I've been shown. 

Maybe it's weird to think that what I eat has anything to do with my work, my faith, my hobbies or the people around me, but if it does, I might just be better off for trying.

Vegan status: Entry-level (no doubt about it)


"Therefore, ...in view of God’s mercy, offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:1-2 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment