Pages

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Interviews for Beggars

After 3 weeks of hearing nothing I finally started getting calls. Not one call came in for the magical dream job I had always hoped for, but they were calls none the less and I was grateful for them. I took every single interview opportunity (with the exception of the Macy's cosmetic counter as previously mentioned). People might say I wasted time, gas money, lowered my standards, gave up on my dream job, but those people didn't owe two months worth of rent.

Beyond just needing money, taking every single interview was an opportunity to work and a chance to practice in case the dream job interview finally did come along. The reason for the title "Interviews for Beggars" is because when you start looking for a job your mindset should reflect that of a beggar, not a chooser. If you decide to be a chooser you might end up at your dream job, but you might also end up living with your parents well into your late twenties. There's nothing wrong with that, but I love working and I would not be okay with sitting at home for more than a month knowing there are opportunities out there to be taken. 

Take as many interviews as you can. Practice, practice, practice. Learn the commonly asked questions and refine your answers. Then, in a few weeks when you've been through your X amount of interviews and you have Y amount of offers on the table you become the chooser without having to wait 6 months. 

God is faithful so hang in there and don't give up. Always be trying new approaches and eventually something will work out. 

I have so much more to say so tune in because its about to get interesting... you have no idea! Feel free to comment, send me questions, or even your own post-grad/entry-level stories. Don't forget to check out my new resources tab!

1 comment:

  1. Great advice on noting the commonly asked questions. It's one thing to read articles that claim to list the FAQ but it's another thing to sit through interview after interview and almost be able to predict what the interviewer will say next. That makes it easy to rehearse rock-solid answers ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete